Sleepover On The Kitchen Floor....

Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind, do something really silly and fun, and never worry about what others think! Toddlers bring out the best in you! They teach you how to use your imagination, how to live without fear, feel with your heart and pretend you're a Super Hero!

Not sure why she chose the kitchen floor - but my sweet girl decided that we were going to pretend to have a sleepover and it was in the kitchen floor. Immediately I went into "Mommy-mode" asking if she was hungry? She replied with, "I not hungry. Lay down, Mommy, let's have a sleepover." I found myself curled up in a spooning position behind her and we were laying on the floor with nothing more than the rug in front of the kitchen sink as our pillow and her my little pony blanket over us. She quickly jumped up and said, "I cannot nap without my blue bunny" and just that fast she was off and running to find Mr. Bunny! Just a few seconds later, she came back with her bunny and my cell phone. I asked her if we could at least have a pillow (I admit, the tile was a little cold and hard). Off she went to retrieve us a pillow. When she came back she informed me that she was the Mommy and I was her daughter and it was time to take a nap. She curled up in front of me, with the bunny in her arms and the blanket over us. Needless to say we never did go to sleep. It was soon time to get up, get dressed, and get ready for school. (LOL) Clearly she was reenacting our every day routine.

I found myself in tears several times throughout this whole pretend episode because I remembered a time when I could only dream of having a daughter that would want to play dress up with, play dolls with, and to be a Mommy too.  What I realized today, again, is that my dreams have become a reality and I do have the most amazing little girl that loves me regardless of my imperfections and flaws, she doesn't care that I'm overweight, or the length of my hair, the style of my clothes (at least not yet). What is most important to her is that I am HERE with her. That I am PRESENT when she needs my attention and that I find time to sit my phones down and not work all the time and just enjoy being her Mommy and pretending to nap even if it's on the kitchen floor.
 
It was so fun to have this day with her, especially considering we have both been under the weather the last couple of days - so to see her energy level coming back and feeling better was much welcomed, and good for a worrying Momma's heart. I realized today that I need more play time with my daughter, I need more pretend sleepovers on the kitchen floor and more overall quality time with my daughter. I spend so much time worried about being able to quickly respond to a work email, text, a personal text, or even a phone call. Today I changed that. After we took our fun pictures in the kitchen and one of her reading her Bible to me - I put the phones on silent and set them aside. I focused on her. I played with her. We played patty-cake, she drove me to school and asked me not to cry when she left for work...(that one broke my heart). But what I realized is that my baby girl is growing up too fast and I am missing it. It's literally passing me by and I made the decision today that I am going to prioritize my time and priorities better. I am going to turn the phones on silent and I am going to focus on spending quality time with my baby girl and my husband.

It's a known statistic that 80% of what children learn come from outside influences (outside of the home) and parents truly only have about 20% impact/influence on a child. If I'm always so busy then I'm not even giving her that 20%. I'm not saying I'm going to neglect my career, but I am saying 2016 is going to be the year that I find work-life balance. I highly encourage everyone to take time to have a sleepover on the kitchen floor with your child, cuddle up on the couch with your spouse and let them know they're #1 in your life. Life is too short to have regrets and Lord knows I have plenty so it's time to take back my life, start enjoying my time with my family and letting other things take a backseat for a while; and if the outside world doesn't appreciate that then they are the ones that are missing out and maybe they should consider doing the same thing. 2015 was a hard year...I seen a family destroyed by a son that was taken too soon, 2016 has started out with some similar circumstances and well, and I simply choose to make some changes and do something about it. I pledge to live in the here and now - to enjoy quality time with my family - to spend more quality time in prayer with my Lord - more time on the kitchen floor having a sleepover with my precious daughter. I look back and think of all the times that were so important to me that many of my (what I thought were) closest friends weren't there for me and it's time I stop being there for everyone else. I guess you can say, today I have had a personal breakthrough -- and all because my precious daughter asked me to have a pretend sleepover on the kitchen floor. I realize I cannot change yesterday, and I probably won't change overnight, but I certainly can work on being a better Mommy, wife, daughter, christian, etc.... and it started today!

It's ironic, because my morning devotion was:
"Come to me, and rest in My loving Presence. You know that this day will bring difficulties, and you are trying to think your way through those trials. As you anticipate what is ahead of you, you forget that I am with you - now and always. Rehearsing your troubles results in experiencing them many times, whereas you are meant to go through them only when they actually occur. Do not multiply your suffering in this way! Instead, come to Me, and relax in My Peace. I will strengthen you and prepare you for this day, transforming your fear into confident trust." (Matthew 11:28-30; Joshua 1:5-9)

I leave you with these final thoughts: live for today and let tomorrow come as it may! Worrying doesn't do anything except rob you of your inner peace and your moments of joy. Place your faith and trust in God and know that He holds the future! If your heart is pure and you have the right intentions, then those that are meant to be in your life will and it will be wonderful! Let your God come first and then your family a close second and the rest can be prioritized accordingly.  May God bless you and your family abundantly and may you find quality time with those you love!

Blessings,
Candye


Comments

Popular Posts