Reading James 2:1-9 Through A Different Lens






When is the last time you read James 2:1-9? 

I challenge you to pull out your Bible and read it again. 

This time, I encourage you to make it personal. Read it as though you're looking at yourself through the eyes of others. 

"My brethren do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called? If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors."

James 2 offers a compelling message that genuine faith transcends words and beliefs—it is manifested in our deeds. It further highlights the essential Christian principle of equality, stressing that all individuals, irrespective of their social standing, are viewed as equals in the sight of God.

Now I want you to go to a mirror and look at yourself. Really look at yourself. 

Through whose perspective do you view yourself? Is it the world's view of who others say you should be, or is it through your Creator's eyes of who you really are?

Admittedly, I often find myself viewing my own reflection through the lens of what I believe the world perceives.

I understand this perspective on these verses is unconventional. Generally, scholars interpret them as guidance on how we should treat others, particularly in avoiding partiality or favoritism towards those who are less wealthy. Call it reverse psychology, but I believe there is so much more in the words written on these pages. I believe our Lord is encouraging us to also look at how we see ourselves through His eyes. I also believe we need a moment of truth here. 

My morning meeting question, "What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fall at it?" 

Self-discovery journal prompt: "Who are the closest people to you in your life right now?"

Reading the two previous questions alongside the verses may have influenced my perspective. It's possible that God orchestrated their combined effect to offer me a fresh interpretation of these scriptures, reflecting my experiences over the past year.

Regardless, this morning, my perspective shifted as I read these verses. Reflecting on the treatment I've accepted from others over the past decade, I realize it may directly correlate with how I view myself.

I leave you with this... Find out who you are and then be that. Be who God designed you to be. If you don't know who or what that is, today is a brand-new day. An opportunity to start fresh. Let it be the day that you begin believing in yourself. Let it be the day you look at yourself through the eyes of your maker. 

Remember, God doesn't make mistakes. You are not a mistake! 

Remember, as I've always said, if you take nothing else away from my blog, I pray you will never forget that you are wonderfully and fearfully made (Psalms 139:14). 

Pretty words aren't always true, and true words aren't always pretty, but when the truth is spoken, it's always beautiful and that's what you get when you visit my blog. 

Life is messy.... thank God for Bounty Paper towels, Grace, and Mercy! 

With love,

Candye ~

"...the battle is the Lord's" (I Samuel 17:47)



Comments

Popular Posts